Fudan University Students
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where waiguoren xue sheng can talk and get to know each other

You are not connected. Please login or register

Introductions

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Introductions Empty Introductions Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:55 pm

George Borrelli

Admin

Hey all! So real quick lets introduce ourselves. Just answer these few questions and then if you want, add whatever afterwords... If you are writing a blog or picture collection while in China, post the link if you want and I will make a section just for links to blogs.

1. Name/Age/Where From
2. Have you been to China before?
3. What is your Mandarin language level?
4. What are you expecting to get out of this program?
5. Any fears or rumors that bother you about the trip?

1. George Borrelli/ 21/ Rochester, NY
2. I went to China last year for 2 and a half weeks. Went to Guilin, Lijiang, Chengdu, and Chongqing. Guilin and Lijiang are beautiful and have completely different environments.

3. Beginning intermediate (according to my school)
4. I want to become fluent in Chinese because I want to work for the CIA or FBI. I also love China and want to learn all about the culture and history of the country.
5. Just not looking forward to the long flight and layovers. Is anyone else going to be there a day early?

https://fudanxuesheng.board-directory.net

2Introductions Empty Introductions Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:24 pm

wangzhan

Hey all! So real quick lets introduce ourselves. Just answer these few questions and then if you want, add whatever afterwords... If you are writing a blog or picture collection while in China, post the link if you want and I will make a section just for links to blogs.

1. James Austin Whittaker, II (I go by Austin)/18/Memphis, TN
2. I finished high school at Li Po Chun United World College of Hong Kong, so I lived in Hong Kong for 2 years. I've taken short trips to Guangdong, Fujian, and Guangzhou.
3. Intermediate (According to my school)
4. I want to become fluent in Chinese because I plan on working for the state department, at least for a few years. I'm hoping to get a total immersion experience so that I can go back to school with a leg up on the next level of Chinese I'm supposed to take.
5. I guess I can best answer this with a quote from Donald Glover (btw, is anybody else a fan of "Community"?) "I've got a lot of nightmares, but failins' gotta be scariest. But I will never fail, I'm a Hero one of the best there is."

@George

I'm taking the train up from Hong Kong to Shanghai on the 14th, so I'll be arriving at Fudan on my own. I'm not sure what time the train will get in, so I may be bit early too.

3Introductions Empty Re: Introductions Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:48 am

Kim Fong

Hey there!

My name is Kimberly Fong, but everyone calls me Kim/19/Brooklyn, NY. I just finished my first year at Smith College, and Victoria Wu joins us as a classmate of mine.

I went to China the summer of ’09 for about 6 weeks to travel and take classes with my other high school classmates who took Mandarin. I went to: Xi’An, Guilin, Yangshuo, Luoyang, Shaolin, and studied at Beijing Capital Normal University.

My Mandarin level is in the intermediate range. I have some background, but my parents don’t speak Mandarin at home.

I want to solidify my Mandarin foundation and improve on that. I'd like to get a leg up on next year's class, and I might want to work for the State Department as well.

I'm also very much a restless traveler, so I love to explore the places I go to, and chat with people I meet. I definitely want to take advantage of the opportunities we get to explore Shanghai.

I think this program will be the most intense Mandarin program I'll have taken, but I'm looking forward to being able to just focus on Mandarin without having three other courses to worry about.

@Austin - I'm going to Hong Kong after the program! I have plans to see some Smith friends and family friends.

Looking forward to meeting all of you!

4Introductions Empty Re: Introductions Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:41 pm

George Borrelli

Admin

we all want to work for the government. awesome!
austin, what will you plan on doing if you arrive early? i was thinking of getting a cheap local hotel instead of one with an english name lol

5Introductions Empty Re: Introductions Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:21 am

spike

HEY!

1. I'm Spike Hosch (Augustine Hosch -- call me whichever), 21 and from New Orleans. I'm a rising senior at the University of the South in Sewanee, TN (probably only Austin has heard of it, if anyone).
2. I have not been to China before!
3. My Mandarin is supposedly at intermediate/advanced, but I haven't spoken it during the past year, so I guess we'll see!
4. I want to get better at Chinese?! In the long term, I'm pretty interested in eventually going into some level of business or urban political work (think sustainability or something), so I suppose Mandarin will prove useful at some point.
5. No anxiety really! At least not yet, haha. I guess I hope we have at least a little free time to wander around the city. I'm excited to see a giant city. I also really want a chance to swing by the Urban Design museum and talk to them a little bit.

What sort of things are yall interested in outside of Chinese?

Austin: Childish Gambino?! I unfortunately don't watch Community!

I'm not sure how Facebook friending etc. works in this sort of situation, but feel free to add me if you feel so compelled! I know facebook supposedly won't work in China, but a few Chinese students at my home university have told me that basically every university student will be working around "the great firewall," and supposedly a Kindle's 3G gets around it.
facebook.com/spikehosch

Is this even the place to talk about that?

See yall soon.

6Introductions Empty Re: Introductions Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:44 am

Julie

1. Julie Trinh/20/San Jose, CA. I'm going to be a senior next year at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, PA.
2. I haven't been to China before and I'm really looking forward to it.
3. I just finished my first two semesters of Chinese so I suppose I'm beginning intermediate? Although some of you guys seem to have way more experience than I do and you claim to be intermediate.
4. Hopefully, this will increase my chances of getting into the grad school that I want to and the Peace Corps. I want to eventually work for the state department after.
5. The only thing I'm worried about is getting a taxi from the airport to the university and riding alone since I'm flying out of CA and most people are taking the Chicago flight. Other than that I can't wait to just venture out into the streets if anyone's down.

I believe that I am searchable via Facebook and I'm currently friends with George and a few others. Spike - I totally added you as soon as I saw this ahaha.

I look forward to speaking to everyone via Facebook and seeing you guys when we get there!

7Introductions Empty Re: Introductions Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:53 am

George Borrelli

Admin

@ Julie - For the taxi, just memorize that sample letter that were supposed to print and give to the taxi driver. It would be cool to give the driver directions in Chinese.

In my free time, I like to listen to music and play any sort of sport. Anyone like to play baseball? I'll bring my mitt if so

8Introductions Empty Re: Introductions Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:53 am

Steven W

Hi everybody. I'm in Taishan right now and I've been here for about a week with my family. I'm going to Beijing next and I'll be headed to Shanghai on the 15th (I think, that's when we meet right?). I don't have a blog, but I have pictures on my facebook if you guys want to friend me and check it out. My email is hans2point0@gmail.com

1. Name/Age/Where From: Steven, 20, Anaheim, California; I got to school at George Washington U., and I'm a senior
2. Have you been to China before? This is my first time. I'm half Taiwanese, and I was there when I was like 2.
3. What is your Mandarin language level? Intermediate/advanced I think -- I can tell people things, but I can't understand them when they try talking back to me casually
4. What are you expecting to get out of this program? I want to learn Chinese! I feel like if you aren't fluent in Chinese, or at least super good, it's not too useful for work stuff. And like everyone else, I too want to work for the gov Very Happy
5. Any fears or rumors that bother you about the trip? I FEAR NOTHING

9Introductions Empty Re: Introductions Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:27 pm

Victoria

Hey guys,

My name's Victoria. I'm a rising sophomore at Smith College with Kim Fong, and I'm from Connecticut. I went to Beijing two years ago, but in December so it was frigid, and I have never been to Shanghai. Also, when I went, I could barely speak a word of Chinese. I am VERY excited to see what Shanghai is like, and I've just finished a year of Level 1 Chinese, so I suppose I'm at a beginner/intermediate level. Like a lot of you have already mentioned, I hope to become fluent in Chinese eventually, and it looks like this program is going to help me get there!

I've never travelled to a foreign country on my own before, so I'm both excited and a little nervous. Still, I cannot wait to meet you all in person, and I am very much looking forward to all the incredible people, places, and FOOD that await us in Shanghai!

See ya there.

10Introductions Empty Re: Introductions Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:57 pm

spike

Hey yall, I was talking to Steven and figured I would ask you: what are yall getting your Chinese roommate as a gift?

I figured I would just bring him some New Orleansy thing from the airport, but maybe I should bring something from my school?

Any ideas?

11Introductions Empty Re: Introductions Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:12 pm

George Borrelli

Admin

That's a good idea. I know they like American chocolate there too.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum